We're committed to providing Peace region residents, businesses, communities and Indigenous Nations with information about Site C construction activities in a timely manner.
Please sign up for construction updates to make sure you are receiving up-to-date information about the Site C project.
Work completed to date
Construction began on July 27, 2015. Since the start of construction, the following work has been completed:
- Site preparation, including onsite access roads.
- Clearing of the left and right banks at the dam site and clearing of the lower reservoir area.
- Construction of the worker accommodation lodge and Peace River construction bridge.
- Powerhouse excavation, and placement of 650,000 cubic metres of roller compacted concrete in the powerhouse buttress.
- Spillways excavation, and the placement of 600,000 cubic metres of roller compacted concrete in the spillways buttress.
- Construction of dam site access public roads.
- Construction of the Site C viewpoint
- The completion of 50 affordable housing units in Fort St. John.
- Fish habitat enhancements downstream of the dam site.
- Construction and commissioning of the temporary fish passage facility.
- Excavation of the diversion tunnel inlet (upstream) and outlet (downstream) portals, allowing for the start of diversion tunnel excavations.
- Excavation of the right bank drainage tunnel, which will be used to monitor and drain the water from within the foundation under the powerhouse, spillways and dam buttresses and will eventually be connected to services within the powerhouse.
- Clearing activities in the lower reservoir
- Excavation of 11,000,000 cubic metres of materials for north bank slope stabilization prior to work beginning on the diversion tunnels.
- Completion of two river diversion tunnels, which are used to reroute a short section of the Peace River allowing for the construction of the main earthfill dam.
- Completion of the upstream and downstream cofferdamsl
- Diversion of the Peace River around the Site C construction site.
- Completion of the Peace Canyon 500-kilovolt gas insulated switchgear expansion to allow connection of Site C to the BC Hydro electrical system.
- Completion of the Site C powerhouse building structure.
- Completion of the Site C substation and two new 500-kilovolt transmission lines.
- Completion of the finishing concrete work inside the 454-metre-long left bank drainage tunnel.
- Dam and core excavation, and the placement of 450,000 cubic metres of roller compacted concrete in the dam and core buttress.
- Installation of six penstock units.
- Completion of the steel super-structure for the powerhouse.
- Completion and opening of the new Dry Creek, Farrell Creek, Lynx Creek, Cache Creek and Halfway River bridges as part of the Highway 29 realignment.
- Completion of the Hudson's Hope shoreline protection berm.
- Delivery of all six turbine runners to site.
- Completion of concrete work for the intakes.
- Installation of 96 steel piles in the spillway and downstream of the powerhouse.
- Realignment of approximately 30 kilometres of Highway 29