Environmental Assessment Timeline
- BC Hydro submits Site C Project Description Report (PDR) to federal and provincial environmental assessment agencies.
- The federal and provincial environmental assessment agencies accept the PDR, which formally initiates the environmental review of Site C.
- Draft B.C./Canada agreement released for a cooperative federal-provincial environmental assessment of Site C, including a joint review panel.
- A 30-day public comment period takes place between October 7 and November 7, 2011.
- A joint B.C./Canada Agreement is signed for a cooperative federal-provincial environmental assessment of Site C, including a review by a joint panel.
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Guidelines are issued for the Site C project.
- A 45-day public comment period takes place between April 17 and June 1, 2012. Open Houses take place in Fort St. John, Hudson’s Hope, Dawson Creek, Chetwynd, Town of Peace River (Alberta), and Prince George.
- Final EIS Guidelines issued.
- BC Hydro submits its Site C Environmental Impact Statement to federal and provincial environmental assessment agencies in January 2013.
- A 60-day public comment period takes place between February 3 and April 4, 2013. Open Houses take place in Fort St. John, Hudson’s Hope, Dawson Creek, Chetwynd, Town of Peace River (Alberta), and Prince George.
- Joint Review Panel established for Site C.
December 2013/January 2014
- Joint Review Panel hearings for Site C take place from December 9, 2013 to January 23, 2014 in the following communities: Fort St. John, Hudson's Hope, West Moberly First Nations, Saulteau First Nations, McLeod Lake Indian Band, Prince George, Doig River First Nation, Halfway River First Nation, Dawson Creek, Town of Peace River and Blueberry River First Nations.
- BC Hydro submitted its Final Argument to the Joint Review Panel, bringing total documentation to more than 29,000 pages.
- The Report of the Joint Review Panel, including the Panel’s conclusions and recommendations, was submitted to the BCEAO and the Federal Minister of Environment on May 1, 2014.
- The Site C project received environmental approval from the federal and provincial governments.
Note: Environmental Assessment Timeline is moving in conjunction with Aboriginal Consultation and Accommodation Discussions
24 months (complete)
- Agreement on cooperative federal-provincial EA process
- Advisory Working Group
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Guidelines
- EIS (Application)
- Working Group Review of EIS Guidelines and EIS
- Public comment periods
Joint Review Panel and Report
8 months (complete)
- Panel’s sufficiency review of EIS
- Submissions (including from Aboriginal groups)
- Public hearings
- Panel report
Review Panel Report & Decision
6 months (complete)
- Draft Referral Package Preparation (EAO)
- Steering Commitee Review (BCEAO,CEA Agency)
- Decision by Ministers/Cabinet